Monday, March 04, 2019

Make Your Own Lavender Oil....



Making my own Lavender Oil: I did this many years ago, and plan to do it again this Spring!  I grow a few woody drifts of lavender in my front yard and am planning to finally get around to planting them in the backyard this year.

There is still snow in patches, but I am so looking forward to seeing my lavender in bud.  I want you to have this recipe so you can try it too... maybe you even live somewhere (England?) where the lavender is budding out already? Lucky you!  Get out your gardening shears and be prepared to have fun and fragrance!

Supplies Needed: 

:Sprigs of Fresh Lavender (or you may purchase dried lavender) 
:Mason Jar with Lid 
:Oil- I choose pure castor oil (you can use other oils such as apricot oil, almond oil, even grape seed cooking oil) 

Directions:

:Fill the mason jar with sprigs-- fill it with as many as you can stuff in (you could strip off the buds and put them in without the stems-- whatever works for you) 
:Cover the lavender buds with oil and soak somewhere in natural light, such as in your East view window 
:Let the brew sit for several days, maybe weeks. 
: Strain the oil through a fine sieve and pour into one or more dark amber or green glass bottles. 
: Keep somewhere cool (not too warm). 
:You can amp up the effect by adding a few (+5) drops of your store-bought lavender essential oil to the bottle. 
: Enjoy as a body oil or in a bath salt recipe such as this one for relaxing before a good sleep.

No comments: